Finishing Drafts

Draft #3 Update:

Pages: 173

Words: 44,264

Chapters: 20


After a few days of emotional paralysis in which I inexplicably found it impossible to write, I wrote this morning up to the points you see above. I think my problem the past few days has been that I'm too close to the end. I know that if I try really hard, I could finish the draft this week, do a once-over and send it off to my betas. I'm dying to get to that stage - so why am I dragging my feet? Maybe I'm so excited about the next stage that I've stopped caring so much about this one. I think I remember that happening in school, like at the end of the year. Or maybe I'm sad to be finishing. I felt miserable for a solid week when I finished Draft #1, and that made NO sense to me at the time, but if I get depressed after the completion of this draft, I'll have to acknowledge a pattern.

Anyway, to reward myself for writing so much this morning, I spent the rest of the day reading and working on my submission database. This is an Excel spreadsheet I made six months ago during the above-mentioned period of depression after finishing Draft #1. I have an A-list and a B-list of agents. I've ranked them so that when I'm ready to submit, I know exactly who to submit to and when. I even have my query letter done! My husband looked it over and made a suggestion that allowed me to cut the letter down to one page, so as far as I'm concerned, that's ready to go.

Tangent:
Nathan Bransford posted this on his blog this morning and I thought it was so brilliant that I put it on a Post-it and added it to my wall of notes/maps/character profiles:
 

A character's desire + Consequences/stakes + Obstacles + Delay = Mystery